Sunday, January 17, 2010

9 Weeks and the Gross Out Files (really the faint of stomach should not read this posting)

Well Lucy's first cold is really hanging on. I'm a bit worried, but we've had her to the doctor twice last week (once because she was breathing so loud and once as a routine visit (her 2 month checkup)). They listened to her lungs and said she was doing okay, but concurred with me that we should bring her in or call whenever we worried because of her age. I really liked how the doctor explained why we should watch her so carefully and why it is best little ones under 3 months not get sick. The doctor told her father and I that her immune system still isn't very good at communicating with itself. An infection in one part of the body can rapidly move to another part of the body and something that generally isn't serious, like a cold, can become very serious and life threatening very quickly. One of the reasons she isn't allowed medicine is because it can mask symptoms (e.g., Tylenol stopping a fever from coming on). We have to be able to monitor all of her symptoms all of the time. The cold has moved into her chest a bit, but she still isn't coughing (except for a couple individual coughs) and her breathing, while rough and making me fret, isn't bad enough to make me call the doctor or take her in again. She doesn't have a fever. The doctor gave us a computer print out with things to watch out for and instructions to call if any of them occur. We're watching her very closely and if she is still sick Tuesday I'll either stay home with her or take her to work with me.

Because of her cold she had another first this week. She threw up for the first time. She was sitting in her vibrating chair rather peacefully and suddenly just exploded. It was a bit like something out of the Exorcist and milk came out through her mouth and nose (the nose really freaked Major out). She had her 2 month check up the next day. The doctor was a bit concerned, but since Lucy only did it the one time thought it was probably irritation from too much mucus in her tummy (drainage from her cold) and said not to worry unless she did it again.

While at her 2 month appointment we found that she weighed 12 pounds 2 ounces, so her growth has slowed a bit, but is still in the 75th percentile (for height and head circumference too). The doctor said she is growing beautifully. She engages with her surroundings completely now and reaches for things regularly. She loves to watch her mobile and to play on her activity play sets (the ones with things that dangle down). She can lay and stair at some of the toys on the activity sets for twenty or thirty minutes (of course Mommy moves the toys around and makes them talk in funny voices, etc.).

She is in size two diapers and had her first visit to Costco yesterday. Daddy bought a case of diapers (258) and a case of wipes. We really needed wipes and Daddy used up all the wipes in the plastic cases (in the nursery and by the pack and play) last night while he played with Lucy so I could get some rest (I'm still really sick too). When I went to change her diaper at 3 a.m. I discovered there were no wipes and had to scream (sort of...I really don't have much of a voice right now) for Major to get up and get some wipes out of the new box. While he was doing that, guess what Lucy decided to do...I'm sure you know...it wouldn't have been a big deal except that Major was very tired and when he handed me a clean diaper to replace the other one that she had just soiled, he handed it to me all folded up (the new one was not secure and no longer in proper place to secure it). I had to let go of Lucy to unfold it and she went again. It was projectile...all over the wall and the diaper pail and the changing table. I thought about it for a couple of seconds and decided it was funny, so then Lucy thought it was funny, so she and I spent several minutes just laughing. While we laughed Daddy had to clean everything up (in a very groggy state). I don't think he thought it was quite as funny as we did. Maybe in ten or fifteen years.

I don't have very many new pictures to post, but have some great video (from the still camera, so they're short) of her in the swing and of her snoring (due to the cold). I'll try to get those posted today or tomorrow.

For those of you who consider Race to be one of our children, he is doing a little bit better. He actually slept with Major the other night (he hadn't done that in years...not since he bit Major's toe (trying to play) and Major threw a pillow at him). His hair is coming back and he's demanding food again (all the time). When I have a full time job I'm going to get him a six foot cat tree from Costco (less than $200, quite a bargain). I'm sure that will reassure him that he is loved (and give him a place to go that Lucy can't get to when the toddling begins).

No comments:

Post a Comment