Lucy was baptized Sunday at Trinity Episcopal Church by Father Ron. Before the baptism, Father Paul gave a beautiful sermon that focused on Lucy, specifically on her name, Lucy Rose. He pointed out that her name means "light of the rose," which he tied into the stained glass rose window in the nave, the pink roses on the alter, and the rose colors in all of the stained glass windows of the church. He explained that her name was no accident, but the work of The Father and talked about how important a person's name is in the Christian tradition of baptism. If anyone is interested, Father Paul gave us a copy of the sermon and we would love to share it.
- I couldn't see it through Major, but I hear she was doused pretty good in the face and except for a single cry in protest didn't cry at all.
- Everyone at church was really wonderful welcoming her.
- John and Jan (her Godparents) gave her a beautiful bracelet with her name engraved on it (you can see it very well in the pictures).
In a strange coincidence, right before Lucy was born I read a book called the Rose Labyrinth by Titania Hardie. I will leave it to those who are interested in what the coincidence is to read the book, but I will say that Major and I chose Lucy's name months before she was born and months before I ever laid eyes on this book. In fact, Lucy's name is a combination of her great-grandmother's names (Lucille for my grandmother and Rose for Major's).
Major Milestones this week
- Lucy has her first cold (which she promptly gave to her Mommy). While it was inevitable, it was unfortunate. I was trying to hold off until she was old enough to take medications that might help sooth her. Unfortunately at eight weeks she is still too little even for baby Tylenol. We're left to warm baths, rocking, and singing. She's been remarkably good considering this is the first time she's ever had a sore throat (based on my symptoms) and stuffy sinuses (her voice is off just a little).
- Lucy can definitely focus on things and follow them. Her line if vision is much improved and she now stairs at her Mommy and Daddy intently (as well a unique shadows on the wall). She loves when Mommy and Daddy pay attention to her at the same time. I'm not sure she realized before that we existed at the same time. When we both play with her she grins and makes a kind of grunt that will probably turn into a giggle soon.
- Lucy tries to sing with Mommy, but not so much with Daddy (perhaps a Pirate's Life is too intimidating). She likes songs that are slow and melodic like Moon River and Blowin in the Wind. She gets a great big smile on her face and makes a monotone (but usually fairly in key) sound with intermittent pauses. It is absolutely the cutest thing I've ever seen.
- She also talks to us now with coos and squeaks.
- When she's having too much fun or there is something that she really likes and she is tired she cries to keep herself awake (sympathy is very much appreciated). This usually happens right before her mid-morning nap (which is the end of our first session of playtime) and her first nap after her Daddy gets home from work (and he has been spending time with her). He's actually in the office with her now trying to sooth the hysterics (of course at this point she is crying because she's crying). It lasts for about 10 minutes and then she calms down and falls asleep. We can usually tell it is coming because her eyes get really sleepy and she starts to get just a little fussy right before (and then of course in the few seconds before her face turns bright red). I've tried the quiet room with the soft light to help her drift off before the waterworks start, but that seems to bring them on faster. Any suggestions on how to keep the crying at bay are appreciated.
- Lucy is playing with a lot more of her toys now. Hopefully next weekend we'll get some pictures of playtime up. In her baptism pictures there are a couple of her at playtime without her toys...they are the ones where she is in the blue chair with the big smile.
It sounds like the crying jag is just about over for this evening. I better go so I can help Major and he can drink his tea. More news soon.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment